Its a Gentleman's Game

In the last seven days, I have had the very uncommon pleasure of working twice with the World Boxing Hall of Fame legend, Professor Azumah Nelson. Ladies and Gentlemen, it has been an awesome week! Awesome because of his shocking shocking humility, his extraordinary faith in God and his concern for the next person. 

I originally thought I would have a lot to say but it turns out I am too awe struck to say much. My first encounter with him happened when I noticed that he had withdrawn to the corner of the courtyard at which we were hosting a cocktail. Maitre D'Affaires, I went over to ask if he was uncomfortable about anything. As I got closer, I noticed he seemed very content and since I had come that close,I chose to have a conversation instead of rudely walking away. Manners matter right? So this was how the conversation went.

YSO: Good evening Sir
AN: Good evening, 
YSO: My name is Yvonne. I noticed you standing far away here, all by yourself and I can't help but ask, how somebody as big as you manages to stay so simple and quiet.
AN: GOD
YSO: Wow Hmmm.
AN: When God is your friend, you needn't be loud, or fight, (at this point I am thinking, did he just say needn't fight?) or try to show people who you are. God is big and He will bring you attention, fight your battles, bless your friends and quiet the people who talk negatively about you. So I don't have anything else to do!

And our conversation continued.....But need I say that in four sentences this boxing legend had given me one of the most insightful sermons I had ever heard. When I commented that the stereotype impression of a  the audience is that a boxer is more likely than not to be an aggressive or loud person, He said 'boxing is a gentleman' game'. Having met him
now, I can easily believe how that is true! 

When I get back from awe land I just might have other lessons from the Professor to share. In the mean time enjoy yourself and remember to be a gentleman or lady!

From the boxing ring, with all my love
YSO

Comments

Post a Comment

Popular Posts