Manners a la Agya

In what could have been described as a "savage storm brewing", I drove out yesterday to buy some infamous electricity units as my meter had indicated that i was down to 50. As i arrived that the vendors shop, the clouds opened up and began to discharge. Although I had thought of quite a few rain related etiquette  subjects, yesterday enlightened me some more. 

Naturally, the vendors shop became a hide out for a few people who were caught in the rain and among us present were: my star character, the security man called Agya; the CD seller lady, Sister; Joe and his lady friend. 

Sister had been drenched in the rain, trying to salvage her CD's and playing equipment from the rain. With the help of Agya, she had barely managed to get everything from being destroyed. Joe and his lady seemingly had a problem with their ECG recharge unit and were lounging in the waiting chairs even before I got there. Agya comes in to drop his plastic chair  and goes back outside. Sister comes in, sits on Agya's chair and just then Agya walks in.

Sister: I am wet even to my buttocks ( she proceeds to wipe down with a towelette she was carrying squeezing it intermittently onto the linoleum covered shop floor)
Agya: (walks into the shop)
Sister: Oh Agya, what was I thinking, how can i sit on your chair like that, please come and sit down.
Agya: Oh Its okay. Haven't you heard Lady's first? You sit down. I was not brought up to take a woman's seat.
Sister: Oh Agya thank you.
Joe: Then Agya, please take my sit!( vacating his sit)
Agya: Yes,this is what i want young people of today to be doing. In fact I am tired of young people but its not their fault. It is the modern day governments I am tired of. They take plenty money, lots of taxes and one wonders what all of it is spent on. You entrust a child to the government and school system and they can not even teach them etiquette. Basic decency is lost on the children now a days. In my day if you met an elderly lady carry load, you are in such a hurry to help them with their load that you probably will throw your school bag in the bush or something"
And the conversation continued. 

One of the few questions I was asking in my head....How did we arrive at the point where we took etiquette out of the curriculum? Supposing Agya is right?
I guess the underlying fact of this whole discourse is at the heart of this blog! Manners matter. 

Whatever you do this rainy season, don't make an old man remind you of your manners it often evolves into a lecture with more than a few stories from the past as examples.... Happy new month people, enjoy the new cool weather. 

With all my love
YSO

Comments

Popular Posts